16 Feb 2018
As per the standard definition given by standard professional industry body AIGA,
“Graphic design, also known as communication design, is the art and practice of planning and projecting ideas and experiences with visual and textual content. The form it takes can be physical or virtual and can include images, words, or graphics. The experience can take place in an instant or over a long period of time. The work can happen at any scale, from the design of a single postage stamp to a national postal signage system. It can be intended for a small number of people, such as a one-off or limited-edition book or exhibition design, or can be seen by millions, as with the interlinked digital and physical content of an international news organization. It can also be for any purpose, whether commercial, educational, cultural, or political.”
To put it simply, Graphic Design means
Graphic design is a part of visual communication.By the use of Text, Images & Symbols. There are mainly three areas where the skills should be performed are:
- Visual Arts: Photography, Illustrations, Paintings etc.
- Typography: Setting, Arranging & Designing the Text.
- Page Layout: Visual Arrangement of elements on page.
- Cave Painting were started between 15000 - 10000 BC
- Ts’AI Lun from China invented Paper in 105 AD
- Johannes Gutenberg Invents The Movable Type Press in Mid 1400’s like Print Books etc
- William Addison Dwiggins Coined The Graphic Design in 1920’s
- Douglas Engelbart Invents Mouse in 1969 which is a biggest help for Designing
- Apple Invented Macintosh in 1984 which has different ways of creative works
“Design is not just what it looks like & feel like. Design is how it works”.
- Steve Jobs.
“Everything has a Personality: Everything sends a emotional signal even where this was not the intention of the designer, the people who view the website infer personalities and experience emotions”.
- Donald A NormanWho is a Graphic Designer?
A designer is a special type of communicator, capable of taking ordinary words & images, and translating them into an inviting, meaningful and accessible message.
What is The Goal of a Designer?
Their Goal is to create a Visual Representation of information with a sense of order & clarity that make it easier for the viewer to understand.
What makes a Design Great?
There are some of the Parameters through which a design be great. They are
- F3 : Form, Feeling, Function.
- Lay Out
- The way of visual appeal
- It explores Color Harmony
- It will have well-chosen typefaces
- It stays on the Message we describe
- It makes Coherence Mood Throughout
- Evokes the proper Emotional Response
- Serves its purpose
- Easy to read & Understand
- Executable for Print, Packaging etc.
“Form without Function is just a ‘Pretty sheet of Paper’’
Design is part of our lives, we notice design almost all the time and some of them gets subconsciously registered and recalled at the time of need. Almost all famous brands use effective graphic designing to communicate, inform and influence the customers to make call to actions on their respective products or services.
To be effective in the market and constantly engage the eyes of target customers with innovative communication, color, type etc. it essential to hire a good branding agency which is a mix of requite design and marketing communication capabilities.
Conclusion: If you want to be a good designer, just make sure to bid adieu to laziness and move your ass. (Just for fun)
Practise. Practice. Practise.Hope this helps.